Friday, January 11, 2013

"The Yellow Wallpaper" response


I think that “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman was pretty irritating to me.   I have had similar experiences where some pattern or design has irritated me because it was either too confusing to follow, didn’t make any logical sense, or the colors were just horrendous.  I can see how the wallpaper could have driven the lady mad when she was forced to stay in the room for so long.  It seemed to me like her mind was trying to cope with a type of almost sensory deprivation by creating these illusions of the lady or the pattern moving.  Also, another thing that bothered me was that the lady knew that she wanted some company and that she felt that it might make her feel better, but her husband just would not listen to her because he was the doctor and he knew what was best for her.  Sensory deprivation has been used as a form of torture in the past (and maybe the present).  The lady did not have to become crazy if her husband had just listened to her and moved downstairs.  I found the description of the wallpaper very intriguing.  Now that I think about it, it seems amazing to me that the author even attempted to physically describe something so complex that even the character in the story could not even process the thought of it.  It seemed to me that each time the yellow wallpaper was described, it was described in a different way with some new detail or pattern appearing.  By the end of the story, I think that the lady ended up being more “sick” than she had started off at the beginning.  I’m not really sure what was wrong with her in the first place. I am still a little confused about the figure of the lady that was behind the pattern and the description of the lady creeping down the path.  I’m not sure if the lady is actually real or not.          

No comments:

Post a Comment